Jacques Dauphin, the French pioneer of outdoor advertising, can be regarded as the founder of FEPE. The national outdoor advertising federations of France, Germany, Belgium, Finland, Italy and the Netherlands formed FEPE (the Federation European Publicite Exterieur) in Paris in 1959.
The Federations from Great Britain, Switzerland, Spain and Ireland joined later. Individual companies from Austria, Portugal, Denmark, Norway and Sweden also became members.
In the early nineteen-nineties, a number of outdoor advertising companies from Central and Eastern Europe became FEPE members. In 1996, the General Assembly in Budapest decided to become a global organization under the FEPE International designation.
Some Important Stages a global organization under the FEPE International designation.
- 1959 Foundation of FEPE in Paris
- 1960 1st World Congress of Outdoor Advertising in Toronto, Canada
- 1966 2nd World Congress of Outdoor Advertising in Cannes, France
- 1970 3rd World Congress of Outdoor Advertising in London, UK
- 1978 FEPE transfers its headquarters to Switzerland. The secretariat remains in Paris
- 1979 4th World Congress of Outdoor Advertising in Berlin, Germany
- In a referendum the Swiss electorate vote against a ban on alcohol and tobacco advertising
- 1981 International Congress of Transport Advertising in Paris, France
- 1986 5th World Congress of Outdoor Advertising in Paris, France
- 1988 Extension of the General Meeting to a General Assembly for all persons interested in outdoor advertising
- 1992 6th World Congress of Outdoor Advertising in Vienna, Austria
- 1993 In Switzerland, yet another motion to ban alcohol and tobacco advertising is clearly rejected by the electorate
- 1994 In conjunction with the international ADC, FEPE launches a poster competition on the subject of "Tolerance and Peace"
- 1995 The former Eastern Block countries join FEPE
- FEPE secretariat is transferred to Switzerland
- FEPE receives new statutes and as a result a new organizational structure
- 1996 FEPE becomes FEPE International
- 1998 FEPE International joins AIG, Advertising Information Group London, UK
- 7th World Congress of Outdoor Advertising in Montreal, Canada
- 1999 Annual General Assembly in Istanbul, Turkey
- 2000 Annual General Assembly in Jerusalem, Israel
- 2001 Annual General Assembly in Taormina, Italy
- 2002 Annual General Assembly in Malta
- 2003 Annual General Assembly in Salzburg, Austria
- 2004 8th World Congress of Outdoor Advertising in Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- 2005 Annual General Assembly in Lisbon, Portugal
- 2006 Annual General Assembly in Dubrovnik, Croatia
- 2007 Annual General Assembly in Palma de Mallorca, Spain
- 2008 Annual General Assembly in Athens, Greece
- 2009 9th World Congress of Outdoor Advertising in Domus de Maria, Sardinia
- 2010 Annual General Assembly in Beirut, Lebanon
- 2011 Annual General Assembly in Madrid, Spain
- 2011 FEPE Secretariat is transferred to UK
- 2012 Annual General Assembly in Milan, Italy
- 2013 Annual General Assembly in Berlin, Germany